Here are 8 basic principles of effective web design that we use as part of our process for effective local web design. Applying these principles during your web design process will guide your customers and potential customers towards a specific goal. Let’s dive into 8 basic principles of effective website design that should know about.
8 Basic Principles of Effective Small Business Website Design:
1. Goal: Each page on your website needs to cater to a specific goal of your user. Whether you user is looking for your contact details or more information on a product or service, your website needs to cater to that in the most effective way.
2. Communication: Users tend to consume information very quickly on the internet. It’s therefore important that you communicate information very clearly on your website. It should be easy to read and digest. You can accomplish this by formatting your text with headers, bullet points etc.
3. Use of Color: Use color effectively throughout your website. To create harmony and balance, use complementary colors to make your website content easy to read. Colors have the power to evoke emotions, so bear this in mind when deciding which color palette to use.
4. Rich Media: Text isn’t the only form of communication with your users. Adding rich media to your website like images, videos and infographics can communicate a point across more effectively than any piece of text. It can also be very effective in positioning your brand to your target audience.
5.User Journey: The user journey are the actions the user takes when navigating around your website. You want to make it easy for users to get to their desired destination or achieve a goal within 3 clicks. Makes sure that the website structure has an intuitive user flow and has a logical page structure.
6. User Attention Tracking: Studies have shown that users scan computers in an “F” pattern which places their attention on the top left-hand side of the screen. Effective website design professional will build websites using this flow and methodology instead of forcing a different type of flow and prioritize the most important information left to right and top to bottom.
7.Page Load Time: Websites that take forever to load are universally hated by most if not all users. Make sure that your website images are optimized to load faster and make sure that the code is optimized will ensure that your website loads quicker.
8. Mobile Friendly: Make sure that your website is optimized to be viewed on all devices. If not, you will be missing out a huge chunk of traffic if your website is only optimized for desktop usage.
In summary, whether you are building your first website, or redesigning your website, make sure that your website follows basic principles of effective web design. Keep your users top of mind.Think about what will they like? What is their journey?
Your website is an extension of your business and it needs to receive the same attention as your physical premise does. Start implementing basic principles for effective web design today. Do a good job on your website and landing pages the first time around. Effectively optimized pages and website are the foundation to any successful digital marketing or offline marketing campaign.